Boondocking Made Easy with Harvest Hosts
How to get away from overcrowded and overpriced campgrounds — and rediscover the joy of camping under the stars in truly unique environments!
When we set out to camp, the freedom that boondocking gives us is what we are picturing in our minds. We are under the stars and only hear the sounds of the ocean or the breeze rustling the changing leaves. Occasionally, we find such moments in a campground — but more often than not they are interrupted by barking dogs, light pollution or the cigarette smoke from a neighbor parked just 15 feet away.
So, what stops us from boondocking? Intimidation? Finding a safe place to try it out? Fear of wildlife? Being out there all alone? Harvest Hosts eliminates most of these worries. With Harvest Hosts, you’ll get the chance to escape overcrowded and overbooked campgrounds — and inch closer to your ideal scenario.
How? We thought you’d never ask. Here are some tips to overcome your apprehension — and get you started on your boondocking journey with Harvest Hosts.
What is Boondocking?
Boondocking is “dry” camping. Truly getting away from it all means camping without umbilical cords: No water, sewer or electrical hookups. It’s camping, simplified. And it’s easy. By not overcomplicating it and understanding what your RV can do, you will easily be able to make the adjustments needed to boondock — and you will save $40-$65 (or more) a night!
Why You Should Boondock
Boondocking allows you to get familiar with your RVing habits. It alerts you to your water usage. It helps you understand your power consumption. And, it helps you get the most out of your RV. By starting with short weekend trips, you will quickly learn how easy it is — and what you can do with your RV. But the best part is that it opens up a world of possibilities for you and your travels.
What are the Advantages to Boondocking?
Boondocking is a great way to be close to nature — and it makes traveling with your friends easier. Group traveling gets better because you don’t have to cross your fingers that a campground has spots for you and your friends to camp next to each other. Nor do you have to deal with strict check-in and check-out times. Plus, boondocking is incredibly cheap — or free.
What Do You Need to Boondock?
To boondock, you need an RV that is self-contained. It should have a fresh water supply, a gray tank, a black tank and a power source. There are other things that make boondocking easier and let you stay out longer — like a quiet generator or solar panels and a place worth going to — but right now, we are just trying to help you get started.
How Do I Get Started Boondocking?
- Pick a weekend in the near future, and monitor the weather to make sure the Mother Nature is going to cooperate.
- Go on Harvest Hosts and select a series of locations you know you’ll love — like wineries, breweries and farms! Make sure it is far enough away that you won’t bail, but close enough you can evacuate if the weather turns.
- Request a Stay at one of the 3,000+ locations you’ll find on our website.
- Plan your trip details — meals, routes, activities.
- Make sure your freshwater and propane tanks are full and your black and gray tanks are empty. Pack your refrigerator with pre-washed food or pre-prepped meals. Bringing separate drinking water is a good way to extend your stay even longer.
- Get ready to truly enjoy yourselves — and the outdoors — the way you always imagined!
Why Harvest Hosts is your best bet for your first boondocking weekend — and many weekends thereafter
- Your host is expecting you. One of the fears for many boondockers starting out is finding a location where they are allowed to stay.
- Many hosts offer full meals on the grounds. This allows you to eliminate one more equation from your first boondocking weekend.
- You don’t have to go very far to find a host. With Harvest Hosts locations all over North America, you can find a place just far enough from home to make it a great getaway weekend.
Now that you have these simple steps to get started—and Harvest Hosts by your side — what’s standing in your way? Your long-imagined adventure awaits!