The Ideal RV Battery for Fall Tailgating
As the seasons change and fall sporting and outdoor events get closer, perhaps your thoughts turn to tailgating with your recreational vehicle (RV), equipped with all the amenities and accessories you need for another fantastic day of fun in the crisp autumn air.
There are several ratings you want to look for when making a deep-cycle battery purchase for your RV:
- Capacity or Reserve Capacity
Higher Ampere Hours (AH) or Reserve Capacity (minutes) means a battery can deliver more energy and perform longer.
- Depth of Discharge/Cycle Life
Depth of Discharge (DOD) indicates the percentage of the battery that has been discharged relative to the overall capacity of the battery. Because the number of times a battery is charged and discharged — and the depth of those discharges — affects its lifespan, you want a battery that also features long cycle life.
A battery that recharges quickly is the best option to help ensure you’ll reach full capacity in less time.
- Temperature Resistance
Ideally, you want a battery that is engineered to perform well in both hot- and/or cold-temperature environments.
- Shock and Vibration Resistance
Things can — and usually will — get bounced around considerably in your RV. Make sure your battery is built to handle any rough terrain or road conditions.
As previously mentioned, there are several different types of deep-cycle batteries available for use in RVs. However, ODYSSEY® Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries offer all the essential attributes listed above — and a lot more. The ODX-AGM34M is just one example from the wide range of AGM batteries in the ODYSSEY® Extreme battery lineup. It’s a marine dual-purpose battery with massive starting power and amazing deep cycling capability — up to 400 cycles at 80% DOD — ideal to power your RV accessories. Like all ODYSSEY® batteries, it offers twice the overall power and three times the life of conventional flooded lead-acid batteries.
How well does the ODX-AGM34M meet the essential RV battery requirements listed above? Let’s look at some of its main benefits and features.
- 850 CCA — enormous cold cranking power and deep cycling capability.
- 1500 pulse cranking amps for five seconds — triple the power of equally sized conventional flooded lead-acid batteries.
- 70% longer cycle life compared to conventional deep-cycle batteries, delivering high stable voltage for longer periods of time.
- 135-minute reserve capacity.
- Faster recharging — the highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery on the market, capable of 100% recharge in 4-6 hours.
- Extreme temperature tolerance — from -40°F (-40°C) to 113°F (45°C).
- The design of ODYSSEY® AGM batteries protect against premature battery failure due to high-impact shock and mechanical vibration.
- Up to three times longer service life than flooded batteries in the same application — backed by an industry-leading warranty.
- ODYSSEY® Extreme batteries are virtually maintenance-free, with no need to ever add water.
- ODYSSEY® Extreme batteries are classified as non-spillable and can be mounted or stored in any position except inverted, making them safer than conventional lead-acid batteries.
If you’re searching for an RV battery to power you through the fall tailgating season and beyond, take a look at the ODYSSEY® battery lineup from EnerSys® for your RV. ODYSSEY® batteries offer a combination of value and performance that’s hard to beat. In fact, with ODYSSEY® batteries, it’s always GAME ON.